Tuesday 14 February 2012

I would say the piece of architecture I would most like to visit above all is Sir Frank Lloyd Wrights-Fallingwater. I have always had a huge admiration for urban design set within rural environments. I think it is astonishing how the array of glass sits so subtly within the foliage and the way that the house defies physical laws as it is almost perched over the stream. The megalithic structure provides me with inspiration throughout my designs.

Above anywhere else I would say that MSA entices me the most. The fact that I have access to two universities is amazing. I was particularly impressed by the Manchester Met studio. The rustic feel of the room was warming and unlike anything I’d visited, I felt as if the character of the room gave me inspiration and relaxation to design. I also want to be involved in such a charismatic city, I feel as if Manchester suits my character wonderfully. With only living in Preston I have been in touch with the city most of my life, I have seen the recent evolution of contemporary design and want to interact with it on a daily basis. I was particularly interested by the opportunity to study abroad on the course, something which I have always had an admiration to do.
Unlike some other universities MSA is a design orientated course. I think this suits me well as it gives me the impression that the tutors will work close in harmony with the students and therfore help me to achieve my best.

When I visited London I was amazed by the variation in architecture. The way that post dated, interacted so effortlessly with the contemporary design. I specifically had an admiration for the way rural design integrated itself into the urban jungle. I feel as if architects get inspiration from the rural landscapes and use them in their designs. I feel as if this is the case for the GLA building designed by Norman Foster. The design resembles a rolling hill as those found within the Lake District. When I was there I was amazed at how the building was ciro-linear and deviated from the normal angular design that seemed to be monotonous in many urban landscapes. I noticed the aero-dynamics of the building reduced the stress on the building, which in turn would reduce production cost, particularly on the types of materials used. I have also has huge admiration for combining the old with the new, particularly when it comes to implementing ‘Green Architecture.’ I was therefore particularly impressed by many of Vincent Callebauts theory based designs. Especially ‘the perfumed jungle’ and his antismog system in Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment